Metroblog

But I digress ...

11 January 2004

A Survey of Blogging, Part I



Okay, so I decided to do my own little blog survey, to see what other people post, and if possible why they thought the rest of the world might be interested.

1) Blog number one was written in praise of Michael Savage, of Savage Nation. Savage is the usual whacko radio host: He reduces complex issues to clear-cut choices in stark black-and-white, to the delight of people everywhere who are too lazy to read a newspaper. It is not clear why the blogger in this instance feels that Savage needs a second Web site. There seems to be no original content, just links to the radio show.

When it comes to radio, I'll stick to Car Talk, thanks. At least the hosts admit they're wrong occasionally.


2) I find life to be rather humorous: Pretty much anything but. An excerpt:

"Wednesday, January 07, 2004
Freakin' ey man! I woke up today around... 915am about. And ever since then, things just haven't been good. Not good at all. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated. In case you're worried, I'm all good. But things just aren't. Sorry I can't go into detail. But I choose not to spill the beans out in public. So please respect the privacy. God bless!"

Why blog if you're deliberately not saying anything?

"I'm sick and tired of characters in plays who go on and on about how they can't communicate. If they can't communicate the least they can do is shut up."
Tom Lehrer




3)Unknown Blog: If I remember my high-school German, today's entry essentially says "Nothing much today, come back next month, when I will hopefully have some news."

Right, sure. That one'll certainly go in my bookmark file.


4)With A Cutting Edge: Kind of interesting for political junkies. Certainly anti-Bush. More moderate than Savage Nation. And I like the fact that the author, John Herbert, cites many different sources of several sorts.

Unfortunately, the blog's tagline is "The assorted ramblings and ruminations of John Herbert". But the blog actually contains little of Herbert--it's almost entirely links. So rather regretfully, I have to conclude that Herbert's not telling us anything we can't learn on our own elsewhere.


5)iamahornybastard


i've thot bout it long and hard last nite.
tried many waes to comfort myself.

seein those words in yer fridae,
dey hurt so much.
i dont noe why.
but i felt sour in my eyes.

i twisted and turned.
unable to fall aslp.
kept thinkin bout you.

i thot bout e time we spent tgt.
those words u used to sae.
and now,
u are usin it on others.

its hard to accept.
dat u are falling fer her.
but i'll learn to tk thgs easy.
juz like how u did,
when u found out about me and her.


Wow! It's badly spelt, bad grammar, and bad adolescent-sounding verse all in one miserable ball of angst!

I sympathize--I used to write stuff like that when I was fourteen. Of course mine was better spelt and I hid it in a drawer--but I could have been wrong about that.


6) I went looking for Rip Van Halen's blog. I know the dude, and he can be pretty out there, so I was looking for a chance to Rip him up. Didn't find it, though. However, I did stumble on Dave Barry's blog. No way to tell if it's really his, but the writing has that flavour.

Barry, a published author, may not be saying anything new on his blog site, but at least it has punctuation. Many of links are seriously expired, but some of them are hysterical: Ever wondered, ladies, what takes place in the men's?


That's six--over half. Time for a beer. Today's refreshing beverage of choice is Éphémère, made by Unibroue. If I could invest in things (I can't, investing takes money), I'd invest in these guys.

Back in a few.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home