Metroblog

But I digress ...

11 January 2004

Blog Trek II, the Search for Dreck



Okay, we're back, with a refreshing beverage.

Briefly, on the subject of alcohol: Those who feel that alcohol is a great evil and wish to ban it from the world will get exactly what they deserve: They will not get to have a drink. And they will have only themselves to blame.

Back to my survey of blogs of the world. I haven't figured out a way to link this to my last posting, but that's where you'll find the first six entries.

7) tinyapps.org: I went here at random, because it was on the Blogger feature list. Short and to the point. Lists small software applications. No idea if it links to adware or other undesireable stuff. I like this one, it might contain something useful.

8) Went to thehomelessguy.net because it caught my interest. I have to say, this is a readable, enjoyable, and factual-sounding work. It interests me partly because I have little or no sympathy for the homeless. In my country, where every citizen pays damn near forty percent income tax, we have a socialized welfare system. What good does my spending that money do if people won't use the system?

Of course, de-institutionalization of the mentally handicapped, and cuts in spending on behalf of the federal and provincial governments have helped.

But what, will someone please tell me, is with all the panhandlers with dogs? When I see a cardboard sign that says "Hungry, Please help." held by a twenty-year-old with a mutt, I always want to give him a recipe for dog stew--solving both problems. Is that unkind of me? If the owner's hungry, how's the dog getting along?

Actually, I used to advise the dog to eat the person, but they so rarely listen.


9) Warning: This site contains pictures of nude, hairy women that the blog owner apparently finds titillating. If nude pictures or hairy women bother you, don't go to:

Naked Hippies and Free Love

A quote:

"remember the nineteen sixties...the Fillmore and Avalon ballrooms? MDMA? the amazing posters? When picking up hitchhikers in my converted VW bus was cool. I longi for those simpler times, when total strangers would become friends faster than you could light a joint, when we camped in the desert with strangers and no one was a serial killer, once my girlfriend and I were hitchhiking out west and this old dude in a new Cadillac picked us up and we had an awesome ride to Colorado...he wasn't a pervert or a psycho.....now that was why we called it the GOOD OLD DAYS : )"

MDMA--remember it? Some of the readers are on it right now! Not any of the ones in hospitals or institutions, not the ones who graduated to other things such as heroin, and not the ones who died. But some of them.

"Amazing posters"--take some more ecstacy, then look at a real estate advert; that'll bring it back to you.

Picking up hitchikers in your combie was cool. . .I assume that since selling out and buying a Lexus, you no longer do that?

No serial killers. Do I really have to address this? Oh well. Lessee--Does the (1969) name Charles Manson ring any bells? How about (1962) the Boston Strangler?

How about Kent State, the Chicago Democratic Convention?

And while I'm fully in favour of sexual permissiveness and a reasonable degree of promiscuity (sexual favours offered to me by attractive young ladies are unlikely to be refused), the words "AIDS" "herpes", and "condylomata acuminata" are still in the dictionary.

(Kids! Still wondering what the hell "condylomata acuminata" is? Ugh! Gross, huh? And like those other words, once it arrives, it stays. And this is, in part, due to "free love" without free condoms--no matter what your folks told you about a family curse).

Why did they call it the "Good Old Days?" Well actually, those living through those days (especially the undemocratically small portion of people on two sides of an uncertain line in Vietnam) didn't.

Why would I bother to read the blog of someone who's still stuck thirty--sorry--forty years behind us in a past that never existed?

By the way--consider this when you think someone "oughta make a law" to prevent or stop a sexual behaviour or practice: There were laws against this. The legal term was "miscagenation", and it's still in use by the spiritual heirs of 'Appy Adolph Hitler.

God I hope the next site's better. Perhaps another beer would help?

Okay, back with another one. In the words of Jean-Luc Picard: "Let's see what's out there."

9)The Knicks Front Office: A site for serious fans. Which I'm not. Looks good to my untutored eye, though.

I follow the Noble Game (hint: Played on ice and rarely involves dancing) from time to time, but the slow corruption of the franchise is taking its toll. No there aren't any halftime dancers. No cheerleaders either. You get the game, the whole game (when it's not blacked out so that the cable companies can gouge for the pay-per-view), and nothing but the game. Forever and ever eh-men!

10)story of a girl: If I'd stumbled on this third, instead of tenth, this would have been a lot shorter list as I'd have given up. I can't tell if any of it's original. Most of it (if original) is innocuous poetry of the adolescent calibre. If it's not original, then the site is nothing but quotes and excerpts from instant messages. Fundamentally dull, mild adolescent angst again.

On the good side, it's updated regularly, and some of the excerpts are readable.


So I have yet to find any reason to post blogs. Still, I think I'm loosening up. The tone seems to be getting better. Anyway, that last beer tasted funny--it tasted like another one. So I'm going to blog off now.

I'll leave you with this, for no adequately explored reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home